Our sibling preparation class is structured to ease the transition to becoming a big brother or sister for children ages 2.5 years and up. Instructor Amy Wenger is a nurse in the UVM Medical Center postpartum unit and sees daily the emotions around that “big moment” introducing siblings for the first time.
Our Sibling Preparation Class includes:
- The “parade of brothers and sisters” with special give-away flags from the hospital lobby to the 7th floor Mother-Baby Unit where our class will be held.
- Tour of the Mother-Baby Unit where we will talk about and experience some of the things we may see, hear and feel when moms/dads are in this space with the new baby.
- Washing our hands and using the hand foam as well as seeing how the different things in the hospital room work (bed, call buttons, etc.)
- Practicing gently holding and diapering a baby doll.
- Discussions around all the things that a new baby can and cannot do, how they eat, where they will sleep, and how they as big siblings can help along the way.
Parents are encouraged to ask questions and use this class to have and open conversation regarding the logistics of becoming a sibling, feelings, as well as changes in the family dynamic. All direction will be age appropriate. Please let the instructor know if there is anything unique and special that brings you to our class. We are here to support all types of evolving families.
Saturdays, 9-10:30 am or 11 am-12:30 pm at the UVM Medical Center (meet in the main lobby space, floor 3, by the couches in front of the information desk.) $55 for two adults/one child.
- August 17
- October 12
- December 14